Saturday, May 30, 2009

Rattlesnakes Oh My!

We’ve been hiking Badger Mountain quite a bit lately. Last night when Doug, Naomi and I hiked Badger we ran acrossed a couple rattlesnakes. One snake was hiding out in a sagebrush bush very close to the path near the trailhead. It freaked us out, but we continued on. On the way down, I made the suggestion to maybe walk acrossed the park area lawn near the playground to avoid the path where the first snake was. As we were crossing the lawn, Doug was talking and then I saw a snake about five feet from him and screamed so loud people on the mountain could hear me. It freaked Doug and Naomi out, she screamed too. The snake started to rattle so we moved aside. Doug used my iphone to take a couple photos. Eeek!

snake2
Snake #1 hiding in the bush

snake3 snake1
Snake #2 on the lawn near the playground

I volunteered to be part of the Habitat for Humanity Women’s Build project. This morning was a course on framing at Lowe’s in Kennewick. They showed us about five different hammers and the techniques used to build a frame for one of the houses we will build. It was blazing hot at 8:30 in the morning which should be interesting when we start building the house. We’ll have to start really early as the summer progresses. I met a lot of very cool women who will be working on this project. I was pretty proud of myself. I didn’t nail into my leg or hands and I was able to drive nails in pretty straight and fast.

hammer
Using a framing hammer to get the door frame put together

No comments: