Thursday, February 25, 2010

Giving Back to the Community

Giving back to the community is something I am extremely passionate about, especially with educational outreach.    In high school I used to volunteer with Key Club (Kiwanis), National Honor Society, and in local hospitals.  In college I helped out quite a bit with philanthropic activities with my old sorority, tutoring to students and with educational outreach for engineering week, Society of Women Engineers, and monthly demonstrations to local Seattle high schools. 

Since late last year I have been mentoring at the new Delta High School.    Delta High School is a small public high school for students living in Kennewick, Pasco, and Richland School Districts. Delta is a STEM high school, meaning the way students learn, as well as what they learn, reflects the world we live in – a world driven by science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM), combined with other subjects.

Delta brings together individuals who choose to teach and learn from each other. Collectively, these students create a unique and highly-personalized culture at Delta High School.  I volunteer about two Fridays a month with these students.  I believe in the techniques the school utilizes.  It is a very technical school that teaches the students to think about the answer not just straight memorization in which students memorize for just that moment and forget the next.

Each year I look forward to helping out with the local science fairs.  Specifically I enjoy helping out with the science fair at Carmichael Junior High School and the Mid-Columbia Science Fair.

IMG_1444
There were 208 projects about 100 less than last year at Carmichael’s science fair

IMG_1445
I judged the first round and entered the scores

I also enjoy volunteering at the Regional Science Bowl.  This year I got to be a moderator and science judge and got to participate in the later rounds.  I look at all the students and am just in aw in how intelligent they are and how well they carry themselves.

IMG_1448
Bob and Erin helping out

IMG_1449
Nick helping out

IMG_1451
This is the 20th year of the National Science Bowl

IMG_1452 
We were in Room E212

I am looking forward to helping out with the Mid Columbia Science fair this year which takes place in March.  I always am excited to see what projects the kids come up with and to see their creative ideas.

No comments: