Monday, March 1, 2010

February Book and Recipe of the Month

Nick’s Book

The Watchman

Carolyn’s Book

fridaynight

Vietnamese Recipe of the Month

Thit Kho-(Pork and Eggs Simmered in Coconut Juice and Caramel Sauce)

This dish my mom always makes during Chinese New Year…so I thought it was fitting that we make this the same month.  It turned out OK.  I think I’ll try making it again.  The pork wasn’t as tender as my mom’s but I think I didn’t thaw the pork long enough before using it which was my mistake.

 IMG_5848
I used the recipe from my Vietnamese Cookbook by Andrea Nguyen

IMG_5842
Hard boil a few eggs

IMG_5843
While hard boiling the eggs I watched The Bachelor on my laptop

 IMG_5845
Yes I admit that I watch The Bachelor and I don’t care if you judge me

IMG_5846
Sautee the chunks of pork in the dark caramel sauce (this usually comes in a jar), some sugar, fish sauce  and pepper for a few minutes until all the pieces are coated

IMG_5841
Baby Coconut

IMG_5847
The liquid and flesh of the baby coconut

 IMG_5849
Add the hardboilled eggs and baby coconut juice and flesh

IMG_5850
Let the pork and hardboilled eggs simmer for an hour and 15 minutes or so then serve with white jasmine rice

No comments: