For Lorraine Bruce’s LIS560 “Instructional and Training Strategies for Information Professionals” class, I focused on the information needs and information seeking behaviors of “senior” and “early/mid career” research scientists at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory. Based on the various learning styles and behaviors of the target audience, I created a tutorial for the research staff on how to access and utilize the widely used scientific database “Web of Science”. I also created a rubric to assess and gauge competencies and skills following the tutorial.
The five learning tasks of the tutorial were to:
- Locate and access PNNL’s Technical Library Website
- Navigate the Web of Science Interface
- Perform basic and advanced searches
- Utilize faceting and refinements of the search results
- Knowledge of other features of the database
Other materials included in this blog post are links to: