Friday, April 4, 2014

Spring Directed Field Work Week 1

This first week of Spring 2014’s Directed Field Work was about getting to know my mentor, the previous work he has done, goals for my learning experience and filling out the Learning Outcomes Agreement form.  I will be working with my mentor fifteen hours a week for the next ten weeks.  My mentor is passionate about utilizing social media and discovering trends and intersections with health security and is a huge proponent of health advocacy.  His group had previously done research on utilizing social media to detect the progression or emergence of the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus (MERS-CoV) and would like me to help him out in looking at different techniques or methods to analyze the data.

There are three goals for this project:

  • Become familiar with the types of structured analytical techniques and conceptual models to be used with social media data
  • How are people analyzing social media content for intelligence analysis and decision making or support
  • Cross correlate current techniques and possibility of creating a new analytical technique to analyze social media data

The two textbooks I will be looking at throughout this project include the following:

Structured Analytic Techniques for Intelligence Analysis by Richard Heuer and Randolph Pherson

image

 

Intelligence Analysis: How to Think in Complex Environments by Wayne Michael Hall and Gary Citrenbaum

Intelligence Analysis

Initially my mentor would like me to become familiar with the sections of the textbooks, research done using he slide deck, learn about basic and advanced searching in social media tools and look at sample scenarios.

No comments: